Mark Terry

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Refrigerator Magnets


August 18, 2010
That picture is of our refrigerator. There are a number of magnets related to band (my favorite says: I used to have a life, then I became a band parent), and a couple are things done by the kids, but the majority of them are a family tradition--whenever one of us travels (usually me) on a trip or a vacation, we pick up a refrigerator magnet for that location.

Studying it is like running down memory lane. Oh yeah, that Disney trip! I remember that business trip to Baltimore! Hey, Tim & Liz's wedding!

And I thought: What's on my character's refrigerator?

Derek Stillwater lives on a boat, a 60-foot Criss-Craft Constellation, but I've never really thought about what's on (or in) his refrigerator. Most of the books have maybe a single scene on the boat and he typically leaves rather quickly. But... Is there a Post-It note saying: Pick up .45 ammo??? Or: Update anthrax vacc.??? Or: Write Letter Of Resignation????

Or maybe there's a candid photograph of his ex-wife. Or a casual photograph taken with him and a lady friend, maybe Jill Church or Cassandra O'Reilly or a schedule of things he needs to do, like give a lecture, attend a meeting, buy paint for his boat, get the oil changed on his pickup truck.

All interesting questions.

So what's on your fridge? And what's on your character's fridge?

5 Comments:

Blogger Erica Orloff said...

How fun!

I have a stainless fridge, so nothing sticks to it. But on the SIDES (where magnets stick) it's all photos--my nieces and nephews (I have seven of them), my kids, Dynamo Boy's artwork.

In my wip, my characters have nothing on their fridge--it's sort of the point. No one shops anymore (dystopic novel), no one has much of anything.

I have actually used what's on the fridge in my novels, LOL! For the same reason you mention--a quick glimpse down a character's memory lane.

8:07 AM  
Blogger ssas said...

How fun! I don't keep anything on my fridge except the occasional art project by Gracie.

Trinidad lives at his church in what amounts to a dorm, and electricity is shady at best. They live day to day on whatever they can find or trade at market. (He actually doesn't get much chance to eat at all in the novel.) He's taken a vow of poverty, so he doesn't have very many earthly possessions except what the Order has given him to do his job.

His priest, though, would be the type to keep photos of Trinidad and his foster brother Wolf. He'd also keep a lock of Trinidad's hair in his Bible from when he was inducted into his Order.

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Eric Mayer said...

The Byzantines didn't have fridges in the sixth century. I'll have to ponder what would be their equivalent of refrigerator magnets.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Eric,
About an hour ago I was thinking I should add a P.S. Yes, Eric, I know John didn't have a refrigerator!

11:43 AM  
Blogger Spiced Apple Eye said...

I think Derek has a postcard of some exotic place, say two palm trees, ocean and a woman's butt covered in sand, she's holding coconuts. My Dad has one of those and one day a friend of his was on the beach and had his wife take a photo of him between two palm trees, naked butt covered in sand...it was hilarious and stayed on the fridge next to the post card for years.

2:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home