Mark Terry

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Middle School Career Day

November 10, 2009
Yes, I participated in the Middle School Career Day, giving a spiel about publishing and writing and novels and freelance writing to about 60 6th graders. Overall, a cool experience.

I followed the owner of a Subaru, Honda, etc., dealership. He gave away hats to people who asked questions. I gave away bookmarks to everybody. He showed a video. I passed around books and stuff.

The guy who followed me does "airflow simulation." Maybe I should have hung around to see what the hell that is, but I had some business to attend to.

Cheers,
Mark Terry

3 Comments:

Anonymous Paul said...

Sounds like fun. When I taught school I would have loved to have a writer speak to my classes about a career in writing.

7:47 AM  
Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

Fun! And middle school-ers are the toughest crowd there is!

Now I'm curious about the airflow simulation.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Mary or Eric said...

An author and a car dealer. When I was growing up the family that lived next door to my grandmother, which is to say one house away from my parents', was a large one. I was friends with one of the younger boys. His older brother did many different things for a living, but also wrote. He had stories in literary magazines like The North American Review and then he had a novel out from I think Random House. Later he had another novel out from a smaller publisher. My friend, on the other hand, followed his father and became an auto dealer. I pretty much lost track of them and have no useful observations to make about what it all means.

8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home