Mark Terry

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Cat. Bag. And so on...

July 15, 2009
For reasons somewhat obscure to me, my fiction agent posted my next book deal in Publisher's Lunch. I knew she was going to. Then my nonfiction agent e-mailed me to congratulate me.

Of course, my fiction agent, for reasons that are less obscure, but still obscure (to me, I guess, although I have guesses, surmises and speculations), provided a bunch of incorrect information, suggesting that the deal was for The Fallen. No, as a matter of fact, the deal is for The Valley of Shadows, which is the 4th Derek Stillwater novel, which is supposed to come out from Oceanview Publishing in 2011. Of course, I haven't actually seen the contract, let alone signed it yet, although due to some of the language in the contract, I can expect the new contract to be, well, identical to the first one.

Anyway, the gist of it is that my publisher has offered me a contract for the 4th Derek Stillwater novel, The Valley of Shadows. Go me.

Since this revolves around Publisher's Lunch, I think it's time once again to link to John Scalzi's definition of book deals and to say, "No, I'm not buying the drinks." Still, go me.

Cheers,
Mark Terry

13 Comments:

Blogger Jon VanZile said...

Congrats!

That's good news. So were these the hints and allegations, or is there more lurking?

10:49 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

That was the primary hint/allegation. We've got another project at another publisher and it made it past the first reader, but I think we know that doesn't mean a hell of a lot. It's promising, but it's the person that offers the contract that really matters.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

Congratulations. Although the publication date is a ways off, it's still great news. Celebrate good times...

12:01 PM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Thanks!

12:08 PM  
Anonymous Eric Mayer said...

That's great news. The fiction "hiatus" sure didn't last long. Wouldn't it be funny if five years from now you need to give up your newsletter due to you having to focus on your bestselling novel?

1:28 PM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Funny, or ironic.

1:30 PM  
Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

Congratulations, Mark! :-) Thrilled for you! :-)

Love that: "A Shitty Deal." ROFLMAO! Great post!

3:31 PM  
Blogger Erica Orloff said...

Congrats, Mark!
E

P.S. Come on . . . ONE round on you? ;-)

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Barry said...

You mentioned your nonfiction agent. May I ask about nonfiction books you may have written/published? I've only seen novels on your website.

Thanks

6:03 PM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Natasha,
What can I say?

6:27 PM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Erica,
Okay, maybe. If the crowd's small. And the drinks are cheap.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Barry,
I make my living writing nonfiction, but I was hired late last year to collaborate on a nonfiction book proposal and then we got an agent for it, because my fiction agent doesn't handle nonfiction. (And, my nonfiction doesn't handle fiction. Go figure).

6:29 PM  
Blogger Stephen Parrish said...

Congratulations. All book deals ought to be celebrated with the same enthusiasm.

Am I the only one who thinks an author with two agents ALWAYS buys the drinks?

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home