Mark Terry

Wednesday, March 18, 2009

To-Do Lists

Marcy 18, 2009
Every day I make to-do lists for my work. I get great satisfaction in scratching off things as I go. I almost NEVER get everything scratched off. My to-lists--and this is an important point, boys and girls--tend to be a mix of the very specific and the very general. Be careful about very general to-dos. They never get done. 

Here's today's with no explainers, sorry.

1. Ian--swimming 3:oo-5:00
2. gym
3. Outreach Dir
4. Telemed aut art
5. Int Dx Rpt
6. AP stuff
7. Pod Mgt prop
8. Pod Mgt art
9. ITW bio
10. ITW essay
11. queries
12. TMI comm
13. Angel edits--348
14.Plague
15. O.D. profiles--6

I will share with you that the number at #13 refers to the page I need to restart on and the number at the end of #15 refers to the number of profiles I need to write for that project. And #6, AP stuff is a very general description of a new assignment that actually has quite a few moving parts which will undoubtedly be exploded out into their components as I get going on it.

Do you keep a to-do list? What does it look like?

Cheers,
Mark Terry 

11 Comments:

Blogger Anita said...

When I use to-do lists, I get things done. I should use them more. Perhaps I'll place "Keep to-do lists" as the #1 item on today's to-do list.

7:09 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

My to-do lists give my day a real focus. I also keep a white board on the wall of my office with lists of projects and due-dates that I cross off as I get them. I also keep things on my calendar on my computer, but the white board is a nice visual cue I can look at to try and figure out my priorities.

Word verification: rugsbuz

7:14 AM  
Blogger B. Nagel said...

love No. 14
Hopefully it refers to research, not a goal of contracting the plague.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

I use Todoist.com, so that for the very important stuff I'm afraid I'll forget when out and about or something, I can set it up to ring my cell with a text message.

Every night, I set up my to-do list for the next day. I also have it set up so every night and morning I have to read and check off my major life goals. Like, "Have a baby," etc. Keeps me focused, mostly.

I'm supposed to re-read 18 books this month. I had it all planned out. I kept forwarding them, and now I've seven books I'm supposed to read today, LOLOL. And I don't have time to read until 9pm.

8:33 AM  
Blogger Erica Orloff said...

HUGE to-do lists.

Mine look like:

Pay tuition bill
Clean out linen closet
Finish revisions
Forward email to friend

Etc.

It's a mixed bag.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

B. Nagel--yeah, Plague refers to an SF novel I'm working on, "A Plague of Stars."

9:21 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Spy,
Do you find many volunteers in helping you to "have a baby?"

9:22 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Erica,
Pay tuition bill sort of gives me the chills.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Linda Pendleton said...

My lists consist mainly of sticky post-its placed along the bottom of my computer monitor. Easy to throw out when item completed. Encourages me to do the thing to get rid of note clutter. I also use my online calendar for appointments and reminders.

As an example, I planned to go to work-out an hour and a half ago, and here I still am. I do need to get moving now as I have to be back in time for an early dinner with a friend. Seems phone calls or other interruptions can throw me off my planned schedule for the day. Sometimes I have no one or nothing to blame but me. LOL

1:36 PM  
Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

LOL! You'd think it'd be easier than it is for sure. :-)

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was going to ask about the Plague, too. I think everyone should have a plague on their todo list...

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home