Mark Terry

Monday, January 26, 2009

Are You A Good Writer?, Part I

January 26, 2009
Nathan Bransford had a poll the other day where he asked if you thought you were a better writer than the average reader of his blog.

My response was: Yes, in that I'm a published novelist and I make my living as a freelance writer. By all other standards, I'm not the best judge.

In the interest of keeping my blog posts shorter in length, I'm going to spend the week talking about what it means to be a "good writer" and what "good writing is."

So, you tell me? Are you a good writer and why?

Maybe we'll all be able to come up with a mutual definition of "good writing" this way.

Cheers,
Mark Terry

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

To me there's no general quality of "good" writing -- writing is only "good" insofar as it succeeds at its intended purpose.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Yes, Eric. I agree with you, but we'll get to that later this week. :)

6:41 AM  
Blogger Travis Erwin said...

I'll say I am a good writer but not great. My strength is as a story teller. Are you separating the two nuts and bolts of writing verses spinning a good yarn or lumping the whole package together? Just curious and look forward to reading more on this series.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Travis--yes!

7:09 AM  
Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

Honestly? I think I'm average to below average. Not "out there," but among my blog buddies. I don't even think I'm a natural storyteller. I don't think I'm that creative: I don't have the "twisting gene" like, say, JA Konrath or even JJ Abrams.

I'm honest. I love people as they are (for the most part). I respect my characters' dreams. I treat their vulnerabilities with gentleness. And I'm a little odd.

Somehow that connects with some people.

But what makes for good writing? I'd say rhythm. All the way, LOL!

7:44 AM  
Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

PS: I have to say, I'm with Travis. Good writing isn't that relevant to readers. (Bad writing is, but...) Good writing is relevant to agents and editors, but seriously not to readers. They just want a good story or an emotional experience.

We writers won't, but they'll put up with a lot to read a good story.

8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home