Mark Terry

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Vacation's Over, Boo-Hoo


August 14, 2008
Home again. Had a good vacation--as you can see, we apparently picked up an alien, but aside from that, good. Weather was so-so. Couple days rainy, one day cold, several days gorgeous. We managed.

So, we:

Played horseshoes.
Played tennis.
Played pool.
Played ping-pong.
Fished (Sean caught 14!).
Kayaked.
Swam.
Snorkled.
Made S'Mores.
Went out for pizza.
Grilled chicken, burgers, ribs.
Ate: chips, crackers, popcorn, ice cream, cookies, above-mentioned S'Mores, candy orange slices (a vacation thing), plus a lot of other things.
Had a beer or two.
Watched the director's cut of "The Lord of the Rings" over 4 days.
Watched "The Incredibles."
Watched "Bullet-Proof Monk."
Watched the Olympics. I tend to favor odd sports like women's weight lifting (48kg division, all these 100 pound women lifting 230 pounds); badmitten; fencing; judo (didn't see enough of it, actually); sculling; and of course, women's beach volleyball because, well, I'm a guy. Gimme a break.
Slept in longer than expected on most days.
Read: The Kill Artist by David Silva; Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling; started Lean, Mean Thirteen by Janet Evanovich.
Did a little bit of work, but less than expected (or as little as I could get away with).
Obsessed about writing and agents (but less than I expected to).

Pretty much everything a vacation is supposed to be, I think. Now back to work.

Oh yeah, two checks were waiting for me when I got home. A real bonus.

Cheers,
Mark Terry

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back. Your shackles missed you.

I used to play badminton a lot. We used to serve overhand, like a tennis serve. I don't know if that's legal. It was interesting to hear those shuttlecocks whizz past your ears though.

4:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Going away and getting paid when you get home? Way to go. Even though it's for work that was done, bet it seemed like an uber bonus after time off!

Oh, and last night my 13 year old daughter asked me why beach volleyball was an Olympic sport.

I looked at her and said, "Because it's women in bikini's."

She simply smiled and nodded and said, "Oh, yeah."

5:32 PM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Eric,
Yes, they stayed warm for me... ready and waiting. And Olympic badminton (no matter how you spell it) is clearly a different game than we play out in our side yard.

Amy,
One of the things I like about beach volleyball--besides the obvious--is it's a game I can understand. It's in or it's out. You get three chances for 2 people to get it over.

My wife, however, complains that the men even wear T-shirts in the Olympics as well as baggy shorts. Very unfair she tells me.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

Yay for the checks! I'm kinda on vacation this week. Of course, I also have a bunch of work to do, but it feels like a vacation.

I keep taking naps. Two today already, and it's only 12:30. I'm just so relaxed. It's a little bit pitiful.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home