Mark Terry

Friday, August 29, 2008

Extraordinary!


August 29, 2008
Back on Monday I wrote on Erica Orloff's blog about sending out a message to the universe that I was going to have an extraordinary week.

So this week my novel The Serpent's Kiss got in book reviewer Dennis Collins' Top 10 Reads list for 2008.

I completed my book-length market research report (2 months ahead of the deadline!)

Picked up one new client definitely and probably a second.

Got an e-mail from a literary agent yesterday about potentially doing some ghostwriting and/or collaborating.

And last night these landed on my front porch:

That would be the Slavik translation of The Devil's Pitchfork (a hardcover, no less!) and the French translation of The Serpent's Kiss. There should still be a French version of The Devil's Pitchfork out in the wild somewhere and the German version of Pitchfork comes out in September.

Not just cool.

Definitely (wait for it)...

Extraordinary.

Cheers,
Mark Terry

p.s. Hope y'all have an extraordinary weekend.


7 Comments:

Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

You're going to ruin your reputation, Mark! :-) I hope you have many more extraordinary weeks!

7:46 AM  
Blogger Christa M. Miller said...

I could not feel less ordinary right now if I tried, so I don't hold out much hope for the weekend. But congratulations to you, Mark! It is well deserved!

8:21 AM  
Blogger Erica Orloff said...

WOW!!!! Very cool, Mark.

My week went kind of like that . . .

--Oldest Daughter auditioned, expecting as a freshman to make the second orchestra, not the one for upperclassman. Not only did she make the highest-level orchestra, not only did she get in the first violin section, she is the 4th chair as a freshman.

--I also, after panicking that one potential freelance thing had dried up, got a call, out of the blue, to ghostwrite--and I would be working with a friend as my packager, which is even better--love the guy.

--My agent called that a production company wants to option Divas Don't Fake It--a book published 4 years ago that I kind of forgot about.

It's been a great week.

E

8:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news!

But how do you know it was that uncharacteristic message to the universe that did it. I would prefer to think it shows the power of relentless pessimism! ;)

9:50 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Eric,
Actually Eric, I'm unlikely to think it was my message to the universe that did it. I have noted, however, that things--good and bad--tend to cluster and that I've been planting seeds for some of these "good" things for quite some time and not being very damned patient about them happening. And, surprise, not-surprise, some of those seeds sprouted pretty much in the same week--the new clients, the call from the agent (a coincidence, but she's got the nonfiction proposal of mine and I had followed up last week with a question about ghosting and when something crossed her desk she contacted me). And the foreign sales copies are way overdue.

Still, the top 10 was a cool surprise and this week I'm just trying to look on the sunny side of things (for a change).

11:07 AM  
Blogger Jude Hardin said...

I like that, Eric. The Power of Negative Thinking. LOL!

Congrats on all the good things coming your way, Mark.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Zoe Winters said...

hahaha foreign translations are always cool things!

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home