Mark Terry

Wednesday, July 02, 2008

My Not-So-Secret Addiction


July 2, 2008
Today I had to fast and go out to my doctor's office and donate a sample of blood. This was a pretty good opportunity to spend the morning dicking around. And besides, I was hungry, so on the way back I stopped at a McDonald's to pick up something to eat, and wouldn't you know it, the McD's is RIGHT NEXT DOOR TO BORDERS!

I have a Borders credit card for my business card, which essentially means they periodically send me $5 gift receipts to Borders. So if I spend a bunch of money, they give me money to buy books. Damn, life is good.

So I had $25 worth of gift receipts, and I ran in and James Rollins new book was there, "The Last Oracle," so I bought it. Then, as I've mentioned recently, I've been reading nonfiction lately, a major change in my reading habits. I'm now typically reading a novel and a nonfiction book simultaneously and it seems to work for me. I'm reading Bill Bryson's "In A Sunburned Country" which is is hilarious travel book about Australia. Before that I read "Homo Politicus" by Dana Milbanks, which is about politicians. This book up there, "Legacy of Ashes" has been on the edge of my awareness lately, so I bought it today.

And yeah, I recently ordered "Chasing Darkness" by Robert Crais from Amazon, which ought to arrive today. Also, I picked up "Endurance" by SL Viehl, a SF novel that's the third book in the StarDoc series. I've been slowly working through the series, which I enjoy far more than I expected to.

Another example of my addiction is my inability to travel without buying books. Airports suck, generally speaking, but they often have bookstores in them, several, and it's hard for me not to buy a book in one. My trip to Houston wasn't a particularly happy one and I didn't buy any books at airports, but there was a Borders across the street from the hotel, so that's where I bought the Bryson book as well as "Rain Storm" by Barry Eisler. That's his 2nd or 3rd, and I've read all the others, but somehow missed that one.

Crazy. Because publishers still send me books to review, even though I no longer review books. So I've got tons, most of which I really want to read... someday.

Oh well, it's a cheaper habit than nicotine, booze or illegal drugs and seems to have fewer societal consequences. And besides, my wife won't let me have a sex addition. Go figure.

How about you?

Cheers,
Mark Terry

6 Comments:

Blogger Jude Hardin said...

I just got back from visiting family in Kentucky, and my suitcase was three books heavier on the return trip. I'm addicted too. One of my new books is Lee Child's latest Jack Reacher novel. I'm looking forward to digging into that one. I also bought Sara Gran's Dope, and a nice hardcover edition of Truman Capote's In Cold Blood. So I guess I have my "fix" for now. :)

8:41 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

I've got "Nothing to Lose" by Child on the shelf, too. It's one I hope to get to soon. I'm not familiar with Sara Gran. I'll check her out.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

Um, I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to blogging. :-) I'm off books completely, which means I've bought only six or so books this year. From a financial standpoint, I'm proud of myself. From a writer standpoint, I feel guilty.

I'm a Libra, what can I say?

I've read Legacy of Ashes, and I'd love to hear what you think. I've pretty much read every single book in the spy section, surprise, surprise, LOL.

Okay, well, I just wrote a ten paragraph comment, so I'll cut it off and write a blog post, LOL.

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't read as much as I'd like because a lot of the spare time I used to spend reading I spend writing. I have been reading a bit more this year, however.

I assume, by the way, that your wife won't let you have a "sex addition" because she believes in monogamy :)

10:27 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Yeah, Eric, she's funny that way. :)

10:46 AM  
Blogger Zoe Winters said...

awww, but sex addictions are great. Everyone should have one.

And I LOVE books. I'm pretty insane about it. And I'm a purist, so I usually don't read ebooks. Books are supposed to have a smell. They're supposed to smell like ink and paper and sit comfortingly on your shelf, and be able to be slipped into your purse (well not YOUR purse, cause you know, you probably don't have one. Damn, I feel sorry for men now, you can't carry a book in your purse. Holy hell it's great being a woman.)

Anyway...yeah...I have a book addiction and you reminded me that this week I get to go to the used bookstore and trade a bunch of books. YAY.

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home