Mark Terry

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A Day In The Life Of A Writer

July 15, 2008
Haven't done this in a while. Here's yesterday.

6:30. Alarm goes off. Hit snooze.

6:40. Get up. Shower. Eat breakfast. Walk Frodo.

7:50. Drive into town to get oil changed.

8:05. Sit and read while oil gets changed. "Chasing Darkness" by Robert Crais.

8:40. Drive into Oxford and pick up chicken noodle soup for lunch for Sean and Ian at Achatz Pie Store. (Didn't buy pie).

9:00. At desk with caffeinated beverage. Checking e-mail, blogs, write blog entry.

9:20. Start working on Medicare chapter of market report I'm writing.

10:40. Go to gym and lift heavy objects.

11:50. Home again. Check e-mail.

12:00. Fix lunch. Read a newsletter about the laboratory industry while soup is warming up.

1:00. Send out e-mails to set up interviews for article I'm working on. Send out a couple queries.

1:30. Organize materials for next issue of journal I edit. Offer Associate Editor position to someone (it doesn't pay, so don't get excited).

2:30. Work on nonfiction book proposal.

3:15. Work on market research report, Medicare chapter. Internet and all TV cable goes down. Call cable company. Stays down until 7:00 or so. One of Sean's friends comes over.

5:00. Start re-reading chunk of unfinished novel manuscript to get back into the story.

5:30. Call it a day. Go upstairs, start browning beef for tacos.

6:00. Go outside and climb up on roof to get Sean's flip-flop, which he kicked up onto the garage roof. Asked him to turn around so I could dope-slap him.

6:30ish. Eat dinner. Do dishes.

7:00. Talk to parents of Sean's friend who dropped off sleeping bag for overnighter. After they leave, find out that Internet is back up and go check my e-mail.

8:00. Leanne and I go running. (She runs, I sort of ... lumber).

8:25. Return from run and take Frodo for walk.

8:50. Deal with credit card changeover on the computer.

9:15. Read.

10:00. Give Sean and his friend Eric directions not to stay up all night, then go to bed.

Cheers,
Mark Terry

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So did they follow instructions?

My day has thus far consisted of my spending the morning on the roof. No I wasn't driven up there by contemplating the publishing industry. Some of the roofing had deteriorated to the point it needed replacing.

10:32 AM  
Blogger Melanie Hooyenga said...

A lot of people have had internet problems lately. Must be something in the air...

10:35 AM  
Blogger Stephen Parrish said...

This inventory is sorely incomplete. Where's the Tetris? Where's the ethanol? Where's the watering and fertilizing of those "decorative plants?"

10:56 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Eric,
No, not really. We asked them lights out at 11:30, but they confess to staying up till 12:30. But I slept through it, so who cares.

Melanie,
I hope not.

Stephen,
No Tetris, no ethanol, and I keep no plants, plastic or otherwise in my office. The computer's bad enough. So, yeah, I might have spent some time on the Maxim website and YouTube, and then I read a couple articles about the new iPhone, but, hey, I did say the Internet was down a big chunk of the day.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Zoe Winters said...

Sounds like a nice day.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

LOL, that's interesting. I'm more compressed. I'd diddle-daddle for a whole hour, but then I'll work for three straight. Same time, just different. :-)

Of course, I'm always going to the bathroom. So it's really 50 minutes writing, getting drink of water and going to the bathroom, and a few minutes to get settled in the chair.

It takes an awful long time to sit down sometimes.

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is the shadow of legend Gold which make me very happy these days, my brother says sol gold is his favorite games gold he likes, he usually buy some buy shadow of legend Gold to start his game and most of the time he will win the cheap shadow of legend Gold back and give me some shadow of legend Gold money to play the game.

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope i can get Sho Online Mun in low price,
Yesterday i bought Sho Mun for my friend.
i want him like it. i will give Sho Online gold to him
as birthday present. i like the Sho gold very much.
I usually buy Sho Online gold and keep it in my store.

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home