Mark Terry

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Reality is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there

April 22, 2008
I was reading an article on the Maxim website (yes, usually I just go for the girls, but sometimes I actually read the articles) asking a former CIA agent turned film advisor which movies about the CIA were most accurate. James Bond? Bourne? The Good Shepherd? (I confess, The Good Shepherd, although I recognized it as being well-done and well-acted, bored me. And it came out around the same time The Good German came out, so I keep calling it The Good German Shepherd.)

His answer?

"Meet The Parents."

I suspect the movie "Breach" was probably pretty good, too, in that it was based on true events and Chris Cooper's character was so complicated and weird he made almost no sense at all; the guy was a total mix of contrasts, but creepy as all get out.

I've noted that when it comes to novels and movies about crime and espionage, we want superheroes, not real life. Although I love the Spenser novels by Robert B. Parker, in real-life he'd have his license pulled and after shooting one or two people, he'd be locked up. (I say that with some reluctance, however; there was a relatively recent case in Detroit where somebody finally bothered to investigate a cop who'd been involved in about 14 deadly shootings and decided he probably didn't belong on the force. It took them years to decide this, which brings up many, many questions about the DPD, very few of them good).

I like Barry Eisler's John Rain novels and certainly he brings a lot of "tradecraft" and research to the forefront (as well as more than a little moral ambiguity). Still, it pretty much feels like entertainment to me.

Certainly LeCarre's Smiley was probably more realistic--a boring, overweight clerk-like character.

Whenever I see a news report about some spy or higher-up in intelligence circles, I take a close look, because how often do these ex-spies resemble some middle-aged accountant with thinning hair, thick eye glasses and a paunch. (Valerie Plame strikes me as being an exception--she's pretty hot). It's hard to imagine these guys (or ladies) dangling from helicopters.

Of course, most of what CIA agents do is get people to steal things for them. Early on in Tom Clancy's career, Jack Ryan was more believable--a PhD in Russian military history, a former marine with a bad back and a fear of flying, a family man. As Clancy's Walter Mitty fantasies spun out of control, so did Jack's career (eventually ending up as President of the United States, a career move I thought was bad for both Clancy and Jack Ryan).

I'm inclined to say, "So what?" I very often read not only for entertainment, but escapism. If I wanted to really know what goes on with cops or the CIA, I'd read a nonfiction book or watch a documentary. I want drama. I want heroics. If I want real life, I'll go have one (not bad advice, actually).

I'm a writer, for God sakes. There are people who think I lead an exciting, glamorous life. They don't realize I got up early to take my son to school because my wife had to go in to work early, I've walked the dog, and I've got an early-season mosquito bite on the top of my right foot, so I'm sitting at my computer in my basement office (where it's sort of cold) with one shoe on and one shoe off because of that itch, and there's piles of unread newsletters on my desk, over a 1000 pages of printouts for a report I'm trying to wrap up, and in the middle of my office is a pile of books I'm organizing to donate to charity, as well as a quilt, a picnic basket and a big box of the kids' K'Nex that we're waiting to get rid of (I'm not sure how these ended up in my office; when I asked Leanne, she said it was just temporary. Apparently my office is an occasional purgatory for refuse that hasn't quite found a home yet).

So, real life.

Spies tend to be bureaucrats. Cops are tired, overworked and underpaid, and the majority of murders are solved through confessions or snitches, not extensive forensic investigation. Jungle adventurers tend to be underpaid college professors fascinated by some bug in the canopy who's afraid of heights and pissed off because the nearest Starbucks is 8000 miles away. In real-life romance, the hot bad-boy is a total jerk...

So I guess the question is, how much reality is enough?

Cheers,
Mark Terry 

5 Comments:

Blogger Erica Orloff said...

LOL.

E

5:49 AM  
Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

Norman Mailer said he asked a friend why she had joined the CIA. She confessed she had been inspired by espionage novels, but the reality was more like living Chapter 5 and 6 only.

I decided to write entertainment, for sure.

7:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoy reading about Mike Hammer battering his way through his cases even though, in the real world, I decry the simplistic, disastrous idea (lie) that violence solves things. Go figure.

My favorite characters are probably Travis McGee, Elric and Conan. I guess Travis is slighter more realistic than the other two. I suppose some guys do live on a houseboat and are utterly competent at everything work when they want, bringing justice to the world, and bed all the women they encounter, all of whom become great friends afterwards without wanting to get their hooks into them. Yeah right.

Then again my other favorite is Maigret whose life is practically as uneventful as mine...well, if you take away all the murder investigations.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Eric,
Yes, I sort of aspire to be Travis McGee, although my wife won't let me. :)

Spy,
Periodically I read an espionage novel written by a long-time CIA employee and you can just tell sometimes when they're close to reality, because they're kind of dull. A lot of chalk marks and dead drops and trying to convince some mid-level government official to steal computer files for you.

9:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

野球・バッティング・上達恋愛指南書もてるしぐさ・心理
野球・バッティング・講座野球・バッティング・練習野球・打撃・フォーム野球・練習・ネット野球・練習法野球・練習・方法野球・練習・メニュー野球・練習方法・バッティング野球・練習・バッティング野球・素振り・バット野球・教本野球・スイング野球・スイング・基本野球・スイング・フォーム野球・スイング・動画野球・スイング・写真野球・スイング・軌道野球・レベルスイング野球・アッパースイング野球・バッティング・フォームバッティング・理論バッティング・練習バッティング・フォームバッティングとはバッティング・コツバッティング・基本バッティング・指導バッティング・練習・通販バッティング・講座バッティング・上達バッティング・フォーム・連続写真打撃・理論打撃・練習打撃・フォーム・動画打撃・上達素振りの仕方ダウンスイング・野球アッパースイング 矯正スイングスピード 野球少年野球 指導少年野球 練習方法少年野球 バッティング 指導少年野球 コーチ中学 野球 練習ホームランバッターになる方法小学生 野球 トレーニング子供 野球 指導中学 野球 指導小学生 野球 指導学童野球 練習方法野球 指導 DVD野球 指導 動画高校野球 強打者年金                       Jメールテクニックメール恋愛術メール口説き方メール口説くメール女友達メール誘いメール誘い方愛情表現メール恋愛メールテクニック携帯メールテクニックケータイ メルテク恋愛メール術ケータイメール術携帯メール術恋メール術もてるメール術モテメール術脈ありメール恋愛脈ありメール脈あり脈なしメール女脈ありメールもてる方法モテル方法モテる方法モテル男モテる男条件モテる男の髪型モテる男のファッション恋愛モテる男もてる男もてる男の条件もてる男の性格もてる男の要素もてる男のファッションもてる秘訣モテる秘訣モテる話術もてる話術もてたいモテたいもてるしぐさ・心理恋愛指南書恋愛ツール恋愛の秘訣恋愛のきっかけ恋愛成就恋愛運恋愛運アップ恋愛運up恋愛誘い方恋愛付き合うきっかけ恋愛 付き合うまでの期間恋愛 付き合うまで会話術 恋愛コールドリーディング 恋愛女の本音 恋愛女の本音 恋愛工作恋愛の視線恋愛の心理 視線流し目 恋愛恋愛 振り向かせるしぐさ 心理 恋愛恋愛テクニック遠距離恋愛遠距離恋愛コツ遠距離恋愛秘訣遠距離恋愛の悩み遠距離恋愛 浮気社内恋愛社内恋愛・片思い社内恋愛 アプローチ社内恋愛 相談社内恋愛 きっかけ社内恋愛 告白社内恋愛 失恋社内恋愛 別れ職場恋愛 年下職場恋愛 脈あり職場恋愛 告白職場恋愛 片思いアルバイト 職場恋愛教師 職場恋愛職場恋愛 バトル恋愛 マニュアル本恋愛術 演出恋愛 女心 心理恋愛話 もて方脈あり 診断恋愛 脈あり 判断恋愛 脈あり サイン 行動女 脈あり 態度女 脈あり 行動女性 脈あり気になる女性 脈あり脈あり脈なしデート 脈ありモテ男モテ男 チェックモテ男 髪型男 もて方男 モテ方いい男 条件モテる 容姿容姿に自信顔立ち 容姿容姿 コンプレックス容姿端麗醜い容姿ブサイクな男女心のサイン彼女を奪う略奪愛略奪愛 成功略奪愛 アブない女略奪愛のドラマ略奪愛で結婚恋愛 略奪愛略奪愛 方法秘技 伝授口説き方女の子 口説き方女性 口説き方b型女の口説き方女の口説き方女 口説き方女性店員 口説き方口説く女を口説く方法ホステスを口説く女性を口説く女の子を口説く口説くテクニック女性 口説く 心理くどき方口説き文句女性口説き口説きテクニック口説きのテク女 口説き口説き力くどき上手告白のタイミング女の性欲女友達女友達のなぜ女友達にプレゼント誕生日に女友達にプレゼントおんなともだち女ともだち好きな女性の態度男性 好きな女性 態度好きな女性 見つめる好きな女性 タイプ女の本音女の本音と建前男と女の本音女性の本音と建前好きな人の態度大好きな人女性の流し目流し目 技流し目と色目彼女を振り向かせる片思い 振り向かせる好きな人 振り向かせる女 振り向かせる片思い 彼女 振り向かせる振り向かせる方法アイツを振り向かせる方法

9:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home