Mark Terry

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Writing and Sex


February 26, 2008
Yesterday, in lieu of being a productive member of society, I spent some time dithering around on the internet (shocking, I know) and one of the things I came across was a video of Joe (J.A.) Konrath at a book talk.

Now, Joe's a good guy and he blurbed The Devil's Pitchfork. Which is why I found it amusing, because Joe mentioned that he had edited an anthology, which he described being "like a prostitute that doesn't get paid. You don't have the satisfaction and you don't have the money."

You can generally count on Joe to have something funny and typically bawdy (to be nice) to say. Here's what Joe had to say about The Devil's Pitchfork: "Gripping. Unrelenting. Terrifying. Terry has created a bioterrorism thriller that will make you skip food, sex, and sleep to finish reading."

My web designer said, "It's a nice blurb, but Joe always manages to fit sex into his blurbs."

I was sorry I wasn't on the panel with Joe because it would have given me the rare opportunity to be a smartass in front of a crowd. I could have said, "I don't know, I think being the editor of an anthology is like being in Mission Control at NASA. It's fun, but you'd rather ride the rocket." And then see if anyone else could come up with a simile for being the editor of an anthology. I mean, these book panels are not riotously entertaining, so anything you can do to liven them up helps, as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, as I was slipping and sliding through the snow and ice this morning with Frodo, I thought, why don't you ask your blog readers to do something like that. Might be amusing. (So, I might add, would be a vacation on a tropical beach with a strawberry margarita in hand, but it's less likely to happen).

So, here we are.

Writing is like masturbation. It's kind of fun, but it's hard to pay the bills with it.

Your turn. 

Cheers,
Mark Terry

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is the last line's a classic. (OK, so I didn't manage to work in sex but I'm not Joe Konrath)

8:22 AM  
Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

LOL, Mark! I'm not as good as your or Joe! I'd say writing for a reader is like seducing a lover.

1:10 PM  
Blogger Melanie Hooyenga said...

Writing is like eating a chicken when someone else has eaten all the meaty parts. You have to work very hard for little reward.

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wholesale lingerie directly from China?
As a famous brand and specialized manufacturer of sexy clothing in China. We supply the international market with fashionable sexy lingerie and sexy costume since 2002. With advanced technology,all our products are of high quality. Now we have clients all around the world. Lingerie Wholesale and OEM are welcomed!

As a Lingerie Manufacturer, Charmingirl has standard workshop and production line, professional designers and experienced workers.
We do Wholesale Underwear,
Lingerie Wholesale, including corset and bustier,
Sexy Lingerie Wholesale, including bikini, underwear
Lingerie Wholesale, and Babydolls, Sexy Lingerie Wholesale, and
Sexy Lingerie Wholesale including sleepwear,clubwear.
Lingerie Wholesale from China: Lingerie China, you will find the
Leather Lingerie and PVC Lingerie, also you can buy
Christmas Costume and Xmas Lingerie
for your Christmas Lingerie Christmas day.
Our Wholesale center: Sexy Lingerie Wholesale can do Lingerie Wholesale online.
Halloween Costume,
also wholesale Adult Costume with fashion Babydoll Babydoll, and bra and panties Bra and Panties, Sexy Uniform Sexy Uniform is also our major products.
we have strong ability on production, research and technology, advanced facilities that is imported fromGermany and Japan, now our monthly output is 100000 pcs.

6:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home