Mark Terry

Friday, January 25, 2008

Another F***ing Book


January 25, 2008

The title of this post comes from a visit I made to the local Meijer store last week (for those of you not in their market, a Meijer store is like a Wal-Mart only not as annoying). I swung by the office supplies section to pick up some 3-ring binders, one to put all the various TABS and sheet music I've been collecting in a folder for songs I'll someday learn on the guitar, and the other two to try and deal with the various drafts of two major business reports I'm writing. I figured it's worth a shot, anyway.

The office supply section is right next to the aisle for books and I had this compulsion to swing by and see what was there and the thought that immediately popped into my head, and this is verbatim, was, "Don't go buy another fuckin' book."

Now, that's not a good thought for a guy who's a novelist and bibliomaniac. It suggests a major attitude problem, which is undoubtedly true, or at least it was on that day.

If you look at the photo, that's one wall of my office. It ignores the large bookcase upstairs and REALLY ignores the walk-in closet in the adjoining room that is FILLED with books and books and more books. And if you look really closely at the bottom 2 shelves of the tall bookcase, you might notice that they appear to be double-stacked. As a matter of fact, they are, and the books facing outward are on my to-be-read (TBR) list. There are 36 of them, which is half a year's reading, give or take.

And should I make it through those, I can always go into the walk-in closet and pull out one of the literally hundreds of unread books in there, or even re-read a favorite. Nope, no shortage of reading material in the Terry household. And my son keeps buying YA SF and fantasy and adventure that almost all looks good. Got some more Anthony Horowitz to read, for sure.

I think that day, I was being particularly struck by annoyance with the publishing world and my place in it, and I was also, as I was thinking yesterday, a two gallon bucket with a three gallon life. So I wasn't feeling very charitable toward those folks lucky enough to get their books on the shelves at major chain retail stores. I was, to say the least, wildly jealous and a little bit--although only momentarily--pissed off about it.

Anyway, I'm over it and just thinking of some books I want to buy. Because, after all, you can't have too many books, right?

Cheers,
Mark Terry

7 Comments:

Blogger Melanie Hooyenga said...

LOL, that looks just like my parents' house, but it's usually my dad saying that to my mom. I love it because it cuts down on my spending.

Happy reading!

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice wall posters. You know how to solve the too-many-books problem? Get divorced. Worked for me. Last time my ex-wife and I moved I did a rough count by figuring how many hardbacks and paperbacks fit in a box, counted boxes and multiplied and discovered we had nearly 30,000 of the things. (Also 25,000 record albums) No idea where they are now.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Eric,
That's a little drastic for me, but I remember reading a column by novelist Lawrence Block once where he said at one point he had a ton of books in a storage unit in Florida, and when he moved to New York he just left them there and said "To hell with it."

I have a lot of books I can't quite bare to part with, but frankly I doubt I'll ever re-read most of them. Some of them, probably, but not most of them.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Spy Scribbler said...

DH says that to me!!! So far this year I've only bought four books. (*sigh*)

Killer Year anthology truly kicks ass, actually made me burst into tears at Borders. Well, Marcus Sakey's story, at least. It was one of those things where you sorta feel sucker-punched, it was so good. The beginning of his new book is good, too. and I scooped that up.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Mark Terry said...

Marcus is a great guy. He and I shared a book talk at the Lake Orion Public Library this fall. A very generous, talented man.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Aimlesswriter said...

What is a life without books???
Not a happy place.

How about a post on how to freelance? I'm about to be unemployed so I'm looking for alturate sources of income soon. I was thinking of freelancing but not sure how to start. Where do you find jobs?

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is the shadow of legend Gold which make me very happy these days, my brother says sol gold is his favorite games gold he likes, he usually buy some buy shadow of legend Gold to start his game and most of the time he will win the cheap shadow of legend Gold back and give me some shadow of legend Gold money to play the game.

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home